I love doughnuts. To be quite frank, I think doughnuts are better than any cake you could put in front of me. The doughyness, the sugar coating, everything! They’re at their best when hot and freshly made, so here’s an easy recipe for you to satisfy those dough cravings at home whenever you want!
My doughnuts of choice are cinnamon sugar, and I like to serve them with a really good quality vanilla ice cream and salted caramel.
This recipe makes loads of doughnuts (if you make small balls like I have) – I’d say you can serve dessert for approx. 6 people.
500g strong white flour
50g caster sugar
40g unsalted butter, melted
7g instant yeast – you can normally buy this measurement in a packet or sachet
pinch of salt
2 x eggs, beaten
150ml whole milk
vegetable or sunflower oil, for deep frying and greasing
cinnamon sugar (make your own by mixing ground cinnamon with caster sugar), for dusting
- this is truly how easy it is to make doughnuts! mix all ingredients (excluding the oil) in a bowl until combined. knead it as you would a bread dough for 5 mins or so until it’s smooth and glossy. believe me, you’ll have never seen such an appetising dough!
- pop the dough in a large oiled bowl, cover it and set aside to prove. i prove my dough above the oven so it gets a little bit of warmth, and it really helps the process along. after an hour or so, the dough should have doubled in sized and taken on a fluffier, spongier texture.
- time to fry! heat your oil in a large saucepan if you do not own a deep fat fryer (i have one, but let’s face it – it’s a faff to clean it afterwards!) to approx. 160°c. i always test my oil by dropping a little dough in to it – if there’s no sizzle and bubbles, the oil is not hot enough. if it browns too quickly, it’s far too hot.
- as your oil is heating, form the donut shape you want. this mix will create approx 16-20 smaller balls, or 8 large donuts. also prepare your cinnamon sugar so it’s ready to dunk those donuts in to. fry them in batches until golden. remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, and place on kitchen paper over a wire rack to drain of any excess oil. roll your donuts in the cinnamon sugar and ensure they’re well coated.
- serve! you’re drooling already, right?