Most people… Well, most sane people at least, would rank cheese up there as one of the greatest foods on Earth. It’s so versatile, and comes in so many different forms, flavours and textures. This dish is cheese heaven, with 4 great cheeses making up a creamy, rich sauce, with spring onions and bacon – the perfect combination! Easy to make at home, feel free to tweak it with any different cheese or extra ingredients… I want to hear about your versions of this classic!
250g dried macaroni tubes
40g plain flour
568ml whole milk (aka 1 pint)
130g red leicester, grated
130g mature cheddar, grated
60g parmesan, grated
150 mozzarella ball, cubed
100g fresh spring onions, sliced
1 tsp olive oil
1 rasher of smoked bacon, finely diced
30g panko breadcrumbs
salt and pepper, to taste
- add the macaroni to salted water and boil for 10 minutes. once cooked, drain and set aside.
- melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, and add the flour. stir well and continue to stir whilst cooking out the flour for a few minutes to form a roux.
- a little at the time, add the milk, continously whisking to avoid any lumps forming. reduce for 10 minutes or so until you’re left with a thick and creamy sauce. remove from the heat.
- add most of the grated red leicester and cheddar to the sauce – set a little bit aside for the top. stir the spring onions through the sauce and season to taste.
- in a frying pan, heat the olive oil over a high heat and add the diced bacon pieces and fry until they begin to crisp up. add the breadcrumbs to the pan and mix with the bacon. remove pan from the heat.
- pre-heat grill to high.
- return to the cheese sauce and stir through the mozzarella chunks. pour sauce mixture into a large ovenproof dish, and top with the leftover cheese and half of the grated parmesan. sprinkle over the bacon crumb mixture, and top that with the remaining parmesan. pop under the grill until the cheese is golden and bubbling!