After a large lunch out, we needed a quick and easy dinner – this hit the spot.
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp coriander
2 x cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 x jalapeño chilli, finely chopped
1 x lime, juice only
packet of shop-bought tortilla wraps
iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
guacamole (i will add this recipe separately)
spring onions, sliced diagonally
cheddar cheese, grated
jalapeño chilli, sliced
fresh coriander leaves
serves 2 – chicken recipe makes enough for 4 x well-packed tacos
- combine the chicken breasts in a large bowl with the sunflower oil, dry spices, garlic, jalapeño and lime juice.rub the marinade into the chicken and pop into the fridge to marinade for as long as possible – ideally overnight, but at least for a couple of hours.
- once you’re ready to start cooking, pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees celsius. remove the chicken breasts from the bowl and wrap individually in foil. this will help to keep them moist during cooking, and will help you to retain the juices for the later. cook for approx 25 mins.
- once the chicken breasts are ready, remove the oven and their foil wrappers, and combine the meat and the juices from the foil in a clean bowl. using two forks, shred the meat and keep moving around the bowl to ensure every piece is coated in the juice mixture.
- pop your tortilla wraps in the microwave for 1 minute, then start building up your tacos! you can add whatever you like, but i have included my garnishes for a bit of inspiration. i lined the bottom of the shells with lettuce, added some smokey chipotle salsa then topped with the chicken. i then added my own guacamole, sour cream, sliced spring onions and cheddar cheese. the jalapeños, coriander and lime wedge add to the presentation, but i appreciate that not everybody wants the spice of extra chilli!
- as we had eaten a large lunch, i simply served my tacos with corn on the cob (lather in butter, wrap in foil and pop in the oven with the chicken), but if I was cooking a large feast for more people, i would add in some spicy homemade potato wedges.