Tonight, I made my other half and myself a creamy chicken pie. It’s a favourite of ours and we have it once every few weeks – you can’t beat weekend comfort food.
The recipe serves 6 so we also have plenty of leftovers!
1 x whole chicken, uncooked
2 x tablespoons of olive oil
1 x carrot, roughly chopped
2 x sticks of celery, roughly chopped
1 x brown onion, roughly chopped
1/2 a lemon
2 x bulbs of garlic, sliced in half horizontally
fresh flat leaf parsley
1 x dried bouquet garni, shop bought
2 x leeks, chopped
6 x slices of prosciutto ham (I bought mine as 1 x 84g packet), roughly torn
1 x small knob of butter
2 x shallots
2 x cloves of garlic
125ml white wine
300ml double cream
1 x handful of fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 x packet of shop-bought, ready rolled puff pastry
1 x egg, beaten
salt and pepper
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over chicken and season. Roast chicken according to packet guidance (I cooked mine at 190 degrees Celsius for 1hr 40mins.
- Once chicken is cooked thoroughly, leave aside to cool. Once cool enough to handle, use 2 forks to strips way all meat and store in a separately bowl.
- Next – time to make stock. It’s always so much nicer when homemade.Add the leftover chicken bones to a large saucepan, and add the carrot, celery, brown onion, garlic bulbs, 1 handful of chopped parsley and the bouquet garni. Cover all ingredients with boiling water, and simmer on a medium heat for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Allow stock to cool slightly, then sieve. Set aside to cool fully.
- Heat a wide set saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the prosciutto. Once the ham begins to crisp up, add the leeks and bring down to a low heat to allow them to sweat for 5-10 mins.
- Remove prosciutto and leek from the pan. Use the same pan for the sauce to carry the flavour – add a small knob of butter, shallots and garlic to a low heat. Once softened, increase to a high heat and add the white wine. Over the higher temperature, the white wine should reduce down to a thicker and glossier consistency.
- Add cooled stock to the wine mixture gradually to allow it to reduce down also.
- Once stock and wine have reduced, bring heat down to a lower temperature and add double cream and a handful each of finely chopped fresh parsley and thyme. Season well.
- Combine creamy sauce with the shredded chicken, prosciutto ham and leek mixture, and add to the pie dish. Leave to cool down fully.
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Once pie filling has cooled, top with the shop bought puff pastry. Shop bought is much easier! Brush the beaten egg across the top as this will give your pie a glossy finish. You can also use leftover pieces of pastry to create shapes and decorate the top of your pie.
- Pop into the hot oven for approx 30-35 mins.
- Ta-dah! Creamy chicken pie. Serve with your choice of side – I opted for creamy mash and buttery peas.